Monday, August 30, 2010

Doing Time Together

A conversation with my mother the other day, pierced a new hole in my heart. You see, two of my brothers are in prison. One is the youngest of the six of us and of course my mother's baby. He and I being the youngest are very close, so naturally all of his communications usually go through me. I heard the pain in my mother's voice as she asked, "Have you heard from your brother?" When I said, "No, Ma, but I am sure he is okay." I could hear the worry in her breathing as she replied, "Lord, have mercy. I hope he is okay." Yes, an automatic tear-jerker for me every time, but I have to be tough and insist he's okay, like I really know when honestly I wonder myself how he REALLY is. Meanwhile, my older brother wrote me a pain striking letter. He was explaining how he'd had a stroke in his sleep but the prison MD said that there was nothing to do but let the body work itself out. I was hurt and angry. But the most pain came from the question in my mind: "how do I tell my mother that her second born had a stroke in his sleep that left his right side weak and twisted and he may not be getting the care he possibly needs?!" Well God is always on time. My third brother, a Pastor, called and prayed with me. We were clearly both upset but he reminded me that when you pray there is no need to worry and if you're going to worry there is no need to pray. He was right. This gave me the comfort my heart needed and I was able to speak to my mom. I later researched my brother's case and gave him information on what he could do to help himself without medical care and put the rest in God's capable hands. Now my brother is okay, talking better and he said his face is no longer twisted, God is good. My point in this blog is when a loved one does time; his/her family does it with them. Not only do the time with them but the emotional effect lingers. Choices we make and lifestyles we live cause us to deal or suffer consequences that have a large impact on more than just your own life but also those around you. Time can't be reversed and actions can't be taken back...but we can think about the outcome of our actions and decisions before we hand. Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment